MASTERS IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a two years program comprising of four semesters. This stream leads to specialization in one or more of the following areas: Thermal and Fluid, production. The department has a very vibrant postgraduate program with a strong focus on research and development in mechanical engineering and finds application of mechanical engineering in manufacturing industries, automobile sector, and also plays an important role in public sector, government sector. Guest lectures by senior faculties from reputed institutions, workshops on emerging technologies are held timely.
Due importance is accorded to both theory and dissertation work. Each of the subjects is handled by chosen, experienced staff, and is complemented by senior practicing experts from reputed industry. The dissertation work is supervised meticulously by specialized faculty. The department gives lot of importance to its master’s students as they constitute the backbone of research and development.
After completion of MTech, students can opt for PhD program or they can join the various research organizations of country e.g. DRDO, ISRO etc. Employment prospects for mechanical engineers are strong, particularly where local economies are growing. Industrial sectors (government, public and private) in which mechanical engineers have traditionally made substantial contributions include defense, merchant nevi, aerospace, automotive, chemical, computer and electronics, construction, consumer products, energy, engineering consulting and government. Further, the medical and pharmaceutical industries present exciting opportunities for mechanical engineers in the life sciences. Even the entertainment industry relies heavily on mechanical engineers for special effects and amusement park equipment.
Student Outcomes from our Mechanical Engineering Programs
- Knowledge to create highly sophisticated machines for technical purposes.
- Knowledge to design, analyze, test, manufacture and operate mechanical systems.
- Knowledge to understand the operation of an internal combustion engine, and to make it efficient.
- Knowledge to design and prototype new products.
- Knowledge to learn to program CNC machines.
- Knowledge to use computer graphics to model new products and systems.
- Knowledge to learn how mechanical, electrical, thermal and fluid systems work together.
Scope of Employment
- In a wide range of exciting industries including Aerospace, Automotive, Bio-medical, Chemical, Computers, Electronics, Fossil and Nuclear Power, Manufacturing, Pharmaceutical, Robotics and Textiles.
- In areas of research & development, design, testing and evaluation, manufacturing, operations and maintenance, marketing, sales and administration.
- In public sector units like Railways, ONGC, Indian Oil, ISRO, SAIL, NTPC, DDRO and IAF.
Major Recruiters of ME Branch :
- Steel Authority of India Limited
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- Bharat Electronics Limited
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Indian Ordnance factories, small arms factories
- Indian Oil Corporation
- Cement Corporations of India
- Steel Manufacturing & Fabrication Companies
- Gas Authority India Limited
- National Thermal Power Corporation
- National Hydro Power Corporation
- Coal India Limited
- Indian Railways, Metro Railways
- Indian Space Research Organization
- Defense Research and Development Organization
- Indian Armed forces, military and paramilitary forces (IAF, Navy etc.)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
- State Electricity Board (e.g. UPPCL, MPPCL etc.)
- Automobile manufacturing/fabrication/assembly Industries (e.g. Maruti, Mahindra etc)
- Larsen and Tourbo, ITC, Heavy Earthmovers etc.
- Small and large hydro power projects (e.g. Tehri, Koteshwaretc)
- Shipping corporation of India